Friday, December 4, 2009

If you eat carbs, you're retarded

Okay, perhaps the title is a bit of a stretch, but try to follow the logic here. I do find it compelling.

I got the idea for this post a while ago, when I read this news piece about abdominal fat increasing the probability of dementia in women. I admit to not having found or read the actual study, much less scrutinizing the data and methodology (this is the advantage of admitting to being a dilettante in the description of my blog).

The other piece to the logical puzzle is that ever-present news story about refined carbohydrates causing you to store a greater percentage of your fat in the abdominal region. This is one of those not-news stories your favorite macro-periodical recycles every few months in its health section.

Obviously, I'm not a proponent of whole grains. I'm a proponent of eating the things that eat grains, and getting any carbohydrates from fresh fruits and vegetables. But the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and if I can convince you that refined grains make you retarded today, maybe I can convince you to replace some or all of those calories with saturated fat. And when you feel better and sleep better and your body makes it evident that this is the right diet for you as a member of the genus homo, maybe you'll tell your cardiologist where he can stick his statins.

Next up, your feet were made for walking. And running and climbing..

No comments:

Post a Comment