Friday, December 3, 2010

Book review, revisiting dairy, holidays...

So I finished my breakfast early this morning and thought I'd use the extra time to finally get my post reviewing Robb Wolf's book The Paleo Solution up on here.

First off, I have to say the book was almost wholly enjoyable. I found most of Robb's attempts at humor successful, and he didn't come off as a know-it-all too badly. Of course, Robb is a direct disciple of the Dr. Loren Cordain, who wrote the original book on The Paleo Diet.

Anyway, Robb's book is great, a pretty quick read, and he keeps it very light despite the intrinsically heavy subject matter. He doesn't go into the depth that Mark Sisson did in The Primal Blueprint , and he's not literarily awe-inspiring like Lierre Keith in The Vegetarian Myth or anything, but I'd definitely be remiss not to recommend you include it on your bookshelf. One thing I have to admit is that it's got me rethinking the issue of dairy.

It has always been my stance that those of us who tolerate dairy well should take advantage of this source of animal fat, protein, and other good things. The Maasai people provide an example of someone thriving on a highly dairy-laden diet.

But Robb Wolf makes the point that I used to think I was able to tolerate grain well, and that 30 days is a small price to pay to find out whether there's another level of wellness I'd achieve by going dairy free.

So I'm drinking my coffee with a coconut-based imitation of half and half that isn't half bad (wish I could say the same for my own sense of humor), and contemplating survival without copious supplies of cheese. I'm simply doing preparations now for a probable future endeavor into a world in which lactose is a bad word.

I would have to predict that I'll end up deciding that raw and grass-fed dairy products, especially fermented ones, are worthwhile inclusions into my dietary regimen, but at this point, I'm just getting ready for a post-holiday foray into cheeselessness.

That's all for now. I had a lot on my mind and I'm not sure it's all out there, so I reserve the right to edit this post. Leave me some comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment