Monday, November 23, 2009

A little background...

I stopped eating grains almost entirely this past March. I certainly get my share of exercise, both via my gym membership and my competition and training in the sports of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Mixed Martial Arts.

Over the past few years that I've been training and learning to eat better and better, my body composition has changed greatly. But that's not the only change I've noticed. I think that my neural pathways and brain chemistry have also changed in such a way that I stay more calm under what could be stressful situations. I also crave feeling good like it's a drug of its own, and this itself is a motivational factor against drinking and eating poorly.

That being said, people often ask me for my advice, but find my choice of lifestyle extreme (3 workouts a day, 4 days a week, with active recovery on some of the off days, 0 grains except on very rare occasion, etc...).

For this reason, I am proposing that people make the following pledge to themselves: That they will make an effort to replace as much of their dietary intake with my big 5 as their lifestyle can accommodate. I will post links and ideas about the science behind my suggestions in the days to come. Many of my beliefs about diet and exercise run contrary to the conventional wisdom. I will post frequently about subjects such as the benefits of saturated fat, moving as your body was intended, taking frequent naps, and occasional fasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment