Monday, February 1, 2010

Grass-fed Beef

So my local mega-supermarket (is that redundant?) is advertising Australian grass-fed beef tenderloin for a ridiculously low price, and I decided to head over and pick some up. When I arrived, I had trouble finding the filet mignon-looking steaks, so I did a bit of searching and realized that they were selling whole tenderloins. The smallest one was 4.98 pounds.

So, like any rational primal eater would do, I made a phone call to ensure that I had access to sufficient freezer space to store most of my 5-pounds of deliciousness.  Here's what I whipped up the first night:

Super simple. I melted a bunch of pasture butter in a pan with a pinch of sea salt and tossed in some baby portabella mushrooms.  Put the mushrooms on a paper towel and tossed in my filet mignon. Let it cook for a bit, tossed it under the broiler, melted a little cambozola cheese (I think it's camembert with a gorgonzola mold) and topped with butter-drenched mushrooms. The steamed broccoli were really just for looks.

There are a few things I want to say about grass-fed beef. One, I've worked in many restaurants, but never directly in food prep. The first thing that struck me was that the meat smelled delicious out of the package. No cooking, marinading, tenderizing, seasoning or touching necessary. I had a serious urge to stick a big piece of the raw beef right in my mouth. If it hadn't been one of my fasting times, I would have done just that.

The second is that I'm just learning about the widespread omega-3 vs. omega-6 imbalance that we tend to suffer from in civilized society. Apparently, the ratio of these fats is all screwed up because we eat grain fed beef (which contains way more 6 than 3) and non-animal based fats (same problem). Fish oil is one solution, but I prefer to try to get grass-fed meats when possible.

Secondly, grass-fed beef is far more delicious than grain-fed. If you don't believe it, try it.

2 more notes. One is that there's been some further study of the way barefoot runners run. Apparently some of us primal-inclined people jumped all over the story and got some of it wrong. The authors of the study want to clarify their point:

"Please note that we present no data on how people should run, whether shoes cause some injuries, or whether barefoot running causes other kinds of injuries. We believe there is a strong need for controlled, prospective studies on these problems"


Okay, I say that's fine. But those of us who are familiar with the paleolithic principle know that we work best when we do what natural selection shaped us to do. Which is not just to run barefoot, but to lift things and climb things and move barefoot in all kinds of ways. It seems the science is a barefoot step behind the common sense on this one. Or the authors are just being careful.

The second is that I need opinions from my reader(s). If I have any. The question of whether I should post workout photographs of myself and the results of my extremely high saturated fat diet has been raised. I think seeing what I've achieved might give some credence to what I say, but I don't want to assault anyone's eyes against his/her will. Should I post, not post, or post on an external site and provide links, making looking at them optional?

No comments:

Post a Comment