Saturday, March 13, 2010

The upside of injuries, links, feedback

Last time I sustained a minor injury, I was unable both to train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and to perform many upper body exercises I had come to enjoy. This time, I will be unable to train, and unable to perform a lot of lower-body exercises.

Last time, I was unable to perform many lower body exercises because they required my upper body support the weight. I am thinking/hoping this will be less of an issue this way around. I'll keep you posted on what I'm able to do despite the minor problems I'm having with my knee.

On the bright side, this gives me an opportunity to be analytical, to put the way my body works under my own scrutiny and see how one joint affects the way I use the rest. I will also be able to use a bit more energy for strength training in general, since Jiu Jitsu training is out for a while. And the final plus to an injury is that I'll finally get some much-needed mid- and long-term recovery time, which can be hard to come by when you work out nearly every day.

If you have the time, here's a couple really good reads for your weekend downtime:

Here's Mark Sisson on Culture (or the perversion of the term "healthy")

Nora G on the Benefits of Butter

I'm getting to the point where the people I started the blog for really seem to get it. They're all reaching goals that once seemed unachievable and setting their sights even higher. I'm delighted by this fact, but it sort of eliminates the Big 5's raison d'etre.

I'm willing to continue struggling to squeeze time for the blog into my hectic schedule, but only if someone actually is benefiting and utilizing the information I'm compiling. If you want the keep the Big 5 alive, drop me a line, call me, text me, leave feedback, or otherwise let me know that I'm not speaking to an entirely empty room.

No comments:

Post a Comment